Friday, January 19, 2007

Jane Herron's Letter of Resignation

I have become very concerned about the operations of this board over the last few years. Some of the things that concern me include the blatant disregard for the professional opinions of our administration, the awarding of multimillion-dollar contracts to companies that have not done their job well, the awarding of contracts that are hundreds of thousands if not millions above our budget, the behavior of individual trustees, the building of a board shrine outside the boardroom, and the board focus on micromanaging the college.

The board is going in directions I believe to be in conflict with the values of the college, the community, and my own ethics and values as board member. Some of you might think that I am unhappy because some recent board votes have not gone my way. Nothing could be further from the truth. I assure you that I have pained over this decision, and it is based on a grave concern for the future of this institution, which I hold close to my heart. I have been a board member for 14 years, 10 of which have been here at College of DuPage. For most of the 10 years I have served here, I have felt like a valued member of the board. No longer is that true.

Because of these and other issues, I can no longer serve on this board. I wish you all well, and I hope that this serves as a catalyst for the board and others to look seriously at the board's internal operations. I hope, also, that the board chooses to readjust its operations to be in concert with the best interests of the college and the community.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve the College of DuPage. I hereby resign my position at Trustee at College of DuPage effective immediately.